KUALA LUMPUR: Police are setting up a taskforce to investigate a Kajang-based rent-to-own vehicle scheme company accused of having duped numerous customers.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said he will personally chair a special meeting on Monday to determine the next course of action on the probe.
“I will meet with the Selangor state police chief, (the Kajang and Serdang) district police chiefs, and investigating officers to discuss the issue.
“(As of now), we have received over 50 reports on the company and I give my assurance that action will be taken (against it) in accordance with the law,” he told reporters after the 24th Departmental Review of the Joint Malaysia-Thailand Working Committee Meeting on Criminal Activities.
Noor Rashid said police will review all agreements made between car owners and the rent-to-own vehicle scheme company.
“I learnt that this rent-to-own vehicle scheme has been going on for many years. The problem only emerged lately.
“We know that the victims are upset, but give us time and space to carry out investigations.
“We want know what the agreements were and whether they (were lawful),” he said.
Yesterday, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar denied claims that police were selective in their investigations into the company.
Khalid said both the Malaysian Muslim Consumers Association (PPIM) and the company are being investigated following numerous reports lodged against them.
Last week, a video depicting PPIM members forcing their way into a private warehouse in Kajang to remove 40 cars went viral.
The 4-minute-58-second video showed the individuals entering the premises belonging to the rent-to-own vehicle scheme company to forcibly ‘repossess’ the cars.
It was reported that the “operation” was carried out by PPIM’s Special Action Unit director Yusuf Azmi, along with 10 members. They were also accompanied by at least 30 individuals who claimed to have been duped by the company.